It’s the main problem

No Vashon Island race for Kinetics this year. Bummer. Boo. Sucks. C’est la vie.

The new main sail had to go back for rework. It was major rework and it went all the way back to Hong Kong and I was hopeful it would make it back to us in time but no such luck. With no backup sail we’re stuck at the dock. Looks like a good time to tackle some maintenance and upgrade tasks instead. Sorry crew. I’m as disappointed as you. Heck, I flew up from LA to do this!

The boat will be ready to rock the 3 Buoy Fiasco.

BRBR Review and Vashon Island Decisions

Well the BRBR was fun but not without its challenges for team Kinetics. We finished well back after being knocked on our ear most of the race. I got us off to a horrible start. Something we can fix with a bit more experience and by getting out to the course a bit sooner. We were over powered for most of the beat to the rock and it slowed us down I think and then not getting the kite up after the turn sealed our fate. It went up with a twist and then things just got worse. We need more time on the boat for everyone to feel confident with the equipment and the process. We’ll get there.

Vashon Island is next up on May 11th. We still need to decide if we want to do the short course from Shilshole to north end of Blake Island (47.560N 122.500W) or the slightly longer race down to Point Robinson (47.400N 122.383W). This is all dependent on getting the new main back in time and sorting out the other issues on the list from the BRBR. I think we should try to do the Thursday night Elliot Bay fun race if possible as we need the practice.

Here comes the sun

With Spring here the racing season is getting underway. I’m starting to post the events I’ve got us entered in to the calendar as well as those I hope to make. Will do the usual email blast but thought this might be a good way to keep everyone up to date on which races are on the schedule and the timing.

First race of the season will be STYC’s Blakely Rock Benefit. This will be our first outing with the new main. If the weather cooperates it would be nice if we could get out the Thursday evening before to make sure the main is behaving. Otherwise we’ll be figuring it out like true rookies on Saturday!

See the STYC site for details on the BRB.